Thursday, May 23, 2013

Week 36!

One more week and little Deci is considered full-term.  I'm grateful to have made it this far without complications and without having to go on bed-rest.  Not every mother makes it to the thirty-six-week mark without major difficulties.  A friend of mine was on bed-rest for (twelve?) weeks in her most recent pregnancy.  My own mother was on bedrest for months with my oldest brother.  Given my personality, especially my desire to be fruitful and productive and get things done, bed-rest would probably have brought about a deep depression. 

So yes, gratitude is the word of the week.  I've been able to keep working at my job, been able to play with AEMA, been able to keep our home in some semblance of order and tidiness, been able to get the hospital bag ready and the carseat installed and this and that and the other thing.  To be able to DO, to continue to use my hands and feet and back for the benefit of my family, has been a tremendous blessing (and, frankly, relief).  (And Decimal just kicked her approval!)

I've had a number of conversations in the past week about my concerns about giving birth early.  I've been having lots of contractions, mostly irregular ones but also some regular and intense ones.  When this happens, all my attention zeroes in on the discomfort and I have to breathe deeply and intentionally through it.  I also get my hands on water or other hydrating liquid as soon as I can.  So far the lack of continuing contractions (I'm not experiencing any now, for example) suggests that all these contractions have been Braxton-Hicks (i.e. false labor), but that doesn't stop me from wondering whether I won't be giving birth early.  And giving birth early could mean a lot of really inconvenient things.  It could mean an ambulance ride with my toddler.  It could mean giving birth at a hospital outside my network.  It could mean my daughter gets stuck by herself at some nurse's station while I'm in delivery.  It could mean my husband doesn't get to be there with me.  It could mean I give birth in an ambulance, or in my home, or in some other unexpected place.  With my first labor, the contractions weren't close together or super-intense till my water broke, and after my water broke I had an hour and forty-seven minutes before AEMA was born.  Decimal could arrive even more quickly.  With so little time for things to happen, a lot could go wrong.  (Who'da thunk I'd ever wish for more time to labor?)

At this point my plan is to go ahead into the hospital as soon as the contractions seem semi-regular and increasing in strength, even if they're not very close together.  I see my OB soon, so I'll get her to make a note in my record that this is a good idea. 

Now the trick will be to make sure Decimal stays put until at least week thirty-seven so she's full-term before her arrival.  One more week!

Anyone want to take bets on when she'll arrive?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe she'll arrive on my birthday! (June 10) If she does, I'll write her a nice letter welcoming her to the world on the best day of the year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. :) That sounds great to me!

      I was telling Hubby that I wouldn't be surprised if she came on the fourth anniversary of our meeting (June 6). And Deci's godmama would be pleased as punch if she arrived on June 5 (her birthday). :) She has lots of opportunity to arrive on a significant date one way or the other, it seems! (She also might be born on the same day as the babies of two of my friends, who are also nearing the end of their pregnancies!)

      Yay. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, Liz!

      Delete
  2. I was on bed rest for eleven weeks - we made it:). My doctor was very concerned about early labor for me given how quickly Brooklyn came, so she had me come in a couple of times when I had pre-term contractions, including an overnight stay when I was actively dilating - he made it almost a month past that time! And then what do you know? Labor with him was twice as long as with her - 12 hours instead of 6. When I got there, I was dilated to 6, and they rushed around getting all the baby stuff ready saying "He is going to just pop out! She labors FAST!". He proved them wrong, ha:). So hopefully Decimal will give you long enough to feel relaxed and settled about where all your family members are...and then come quickly for your sake:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on bed rest for eleven weeks - we made it:). My doctor was very concerned about early labor for me given how quickly Brooklyn came, so she had me come in a couple of times when I had pre-term contractions, including an overnight stay when I was actively dilating - he made it almost a month past that time! And then what do you know? Labor with him was twice as long as with her - 12 hours instead of 6. When I got there, I was dilated to 6, and they rushed around getting all the baby stuff ready saying "He is going to just pop out! She labors FAST!". He proved them wrong, ha:). So hopefully Decimal will give you long enough to feel relaxed and settled about where all your family members are...and then come quickly for your sake:)

    ReplyDelete